Thursday, April 17, 2008

a realization

I suffer from Nomophila. Meaning the fear of being mobile-less. Seriously....google it. It is an actual real fear.

In my normal day I wake up, check my cell to see if I have any missed phone calls, texts or whatever. (most of the time I dont have either, but I have to check it!) Then while at work I have to have my phone with me, at all times. It sits next to me. I check it constantly to see if there are any new text messages or anything. (sometimes I do...lately I havent but that is becuase the main person who texts me is not availble at the moment...*sigh*) Then at home while doing things around the house I have it on vibrate and have it shoved into my bra...just in case. This whole process repeats itself each and every day.

However there is a rare chance where I will forget my cell phone, and more times than I would like to admit too I have actually turned around and gone back home to get my phone so I could have it with me.

I seriously do remember the time when we didn't have cell phones. I remember when people were "cool" when they had pagers and you were freakin rich when you had a cell phone the size of a small dog. lol.

So yeah...I realized today that they do have a name for my fear. yay. thanks google!!

4 comments:

Mrs. F said...

I suffer a mild case of nomophilia. Meds are not required.
You need something.

Tee hee.

followthatdog said...

do they have a name for the fear of your husband being mobile-less? that's mine. What if I can't get ahold of him when I need to????

Michael O'Connell said...

I wonder if there's a term for people who fear BEING mobile? I'm not going to mention names (A.T.), but I know a guy (A.T.) who's so scared of his cell phone voice mail that he (A.T.) literally won't check it...ever. He (A.T.) just lets it fill up, waits until someone complains that they call and it says voice mail is full, and then he (A.T.) just erases them all without ever listening to them. I think it terrifies him (A.T.) that he's never truly alone and can never get away from people and just be by him(A.T.)self. So that's his (A.T.'s) way of coping, I guess. On a psychological level, I can understand it. In this day and age, we're never truly alone. For some, that's a comfort. For others, it's a violation of a right to solitude. I can see why some people (Orange. Orange who? "Orange" you glad I didn't say A.T.?) would rebel against it. Me, I'm too damned paranoid. I just know that the one time I leave my cell at home is the time that I'm either going to be stranded with a flat tire in the middle of nowhere, or something terrible will have happened to someone in my family and they won't be able to reach me. So mine's always on me, and never turned off (except during movies, and even that makes me nervous). I don't keep it in my BRA or anything, but I'm down with your fear.

Sarah said...

who is this "he" you are talking about Michael?? I didnt quite catch the meaning to that. lol. :p